The Maryland Catholic Conference works to support and promote life-affirming policies that expand support for women experiencing unexpected or at-risk pregnancies.
In conjunction with the Church’s teaching on abortion, the Conference supports policies that assist women throughout their pregnancies and make it easier for women to choose life.
(see Helping Hope Bloom for ideas of how to help and resource links)
Maryland’s many pro-life pregnancy centers work to provide these services at reduced or no cost to expectant women. Services and resources typically include:
- pregnancy tests and ultrasounds
- STI screening
- parenting classes
- baby items and clothes
- prenatal care
The Maryland Catholic Conference works to promote policies that support parents facing a difficult prenatal diagnosis and life-affirming care for children with life-limiting diagnoses.
Among legislative initiatives on which the Conference has successfully engaged:
- Special health insurance enrollment period for pregnancy
- Grants for maternal and infant mortality, prenatal and infant support
- Information about pregnancy, including foster care, kinship care, adoption, and pregnancy and parenting resources for female inmates
- Banning shackling of pregnant women and solitary confinement of all women in prison
- Diaper-changing tables required in new public buildings
- State employees must be given time and space to breastfeed
- Increase in childcare for low-income women in state budget.